The Essential Office Relocation Checklist
- Your first step is to select an internal governing body to organize the move. This is typically made of representatives from Tech, HR, Operations and other necessary departments depending on your company’s infrastructure.
- Determine a reasonable relocation budget.
- Hire a mover and review your insurance coverage for goods in transit.
- Contact telecom/data provider to schedule a date to re-establish service at the new location (move phone numbers and IT services).
- Determine if any equipment requires specialized or approved vendors to move it. This could include copiers, lab equipment, certain electronics or manufacturing equipment depending on lease terms/contractual liability.
- Reserve the building elevator (existing for move out, new for move in).
- Order keys and/or keycards from the new building.
- Order new letterhead, business cards, forms, and other printed marketing materials.
- Coordinate updates to your website, email signatures, and any place else where your address appears so they can be implemented on the day of your move.
- IMPORTANT: Notify your clients of change of address.
- Contact the post office for change of address.
- Contact your bank for change of address.
- Notify vendors of change of address (water delivery, vending machines, etc.).
- Contact the IRS for change of address.
- Change address with any publications that are delivered to office.
- Notify insurance carrier of change of address and new office’s requirements. Obtain certificates of insurance for the landlord, and any entities required by the lease.
- Contact the Franchise Tax Board for change of address.
Visit Cargocert.com to secure the best broad form coverage for your office equipment during the move. See below on how to build a packing list using their platform.